Saturday, December 27, 2008

Hanukkah/Xmas 2008

So the Saturday before Christmas we had a Hanukkah/Xmas party at our house. It was a lot of fun and food but probably would have gone a little smoother if I hadn't stayed out until 1am the night before.

My new mom's club had our first girls night and it was a huge success. So I know a handfull of mom's hearts just leaped into their throats. Don't worry I am not naming names or going to put in print what was discussed at this particular event. I have learned my lesson.

I do have to say that our new group of friends is far superior to the old mom's club that I had to quit. We cherry picked all the moms that are least likely to get offended or cause drama in any way, shape or form and it makes a huge difference in the quality of our gatherings. Less formal and way more fun!

So anyways I was hurting that Saturday following that gathering and when I went to take the turkey out of the fridge it was still frozen! I had put it in my fridge on Thursday and by Saturday it was still an ice cube, shit!! So I went and bought a fresh turkey and roasted that along with a brisket in the crockpot. We also did all the traditional turkey fixings as well as latkes. Everyone was so stuffed nobody had room for pie and we were left with a lot of desserts. My step-mom Cherie, as usual, was a giant help. And thankfully Auntie M made salad because we were short on any healthy foods.

Sunday we cleaned house and Monday we went to Auntie M's for some more Hanukkah, Tuesday we all went to dinner at Chevy's and Wednesday we just chilled out at home and I made reservations for an overnight stay in S.F. So Christmas morning we just cleaned house, Erik saw a patient, we packed a bag and drove to the city. It stopped raining and was clear but as cold as a witch's tit.

We checked into our room and then walked to Fisherman's Wharf. We just checked out the sights, the sea lions and bought the kids some cookies. We went back to our room and I put another layer of clothes on the kids and then we walked around until we found an Irish pub open for dinner. The kids were so tired and hungry they were actually well-behaved!

Back at the room we pretended to light the menorah and opened real gifts and then took a bath and we all went to bed at the same time. Mike and Bekah in the pull-out sofa, Jake in a pack 'n' play and Erik and I in a queen bed. Jake and Bekah slept all the way through the night!! But Mike was coughing a lot, and restless, and since I can't sleep in a hotel well without kids, I was wide awake of course. But it could have been a lot worse.

The next morning Erik and I hit the breakfast buffet and the kids ate free. I shamelessly stuck a bagel and cream cheese in my purse. Erik rolled his eyes at me.

We had the nicest waitress who insisted on coming over and trying to clean up Jake. She must think I am a horrible mother but it's really pointless to to try to clean him while he is still eating. The dude needs a haz mat suit to get through a meal instead of a bib. Which is why I brought several changes of clothes for him, so I wasn't worried about him pouring orange juice all down his front.

After breakfast we went to The Exploratorium. Best museum in the world. Some exhibits are so great they have been there since Erik and I were kids. My 3 actually lasted an amazing 2 hours before we encountered a double melt-down. Jake and Bekah hit the deck and it wasn't pretty. They were both having the kind of melt-downs where strangers try to help you. It was bad, and loud. Erik was nervously laughing, and I was shaking. We left.

Bekah fell asleep with her chin on her chest before we even hit the freeway and Jake was soon to follow.

This Saturday evening we had another nice Hanukkah party at a friend's house and had a really good time. It's nice to go to a house where you can relax and know that your children are safe and understood. It's also nice when you can pig out on good food.


Below are two pics from Fisherman's Wharf. I couldn't get Mike to sit with me so that's why I only have Jake and Bekah. Michael is going through a daddy phase right now.






4 comments:

Clare said...

wow, 5 days without a computer takes it toll on me! I love your posts about the holidays but I especially am in love with the banner you put up. How did you do that? I need a new one and using one of my own sounds neat! By the end of the week I should have internet access at home! woohoo

Clare said...

ah yes, the meltdowns where strangers try to help you. I have only had three of those so far in Rays almost 3 years. I almost would rather they leave me alone because I get embarrassed that I cant controlling a kid who is convulsing, holding her breath, kicking and acting like a trapped animal!

Charlotte said...

Hey Clare,
I chose a template with a box on top and then you can edit that in your dashboard and upload a photo and hit the shrink to fit button. I am so not technical so I hope that helped.

5 days w/out a computer would kill me.
Charlotte

Charlotte said...

I agree! I know they are just being nice but it makes me feel stupid.

I do appreciate help though when I start dropping stuff. Or the other day I was pulling Jake in our wagon and the wheel got stuck on something and started to tip, I gasped and this sweet man rushed over to help and then dropped his mail and his blackberry which skidded into the parking lot. I was so apologetic. And he was so nice about it. And really all I had to do was back up the wagon and it was fine. And of course Mike and Bekah take this chance to sprint ahead and out of sight, grrrr.