Saturday, December 6, 2008

Bekah's First Haircut

The day after her 3rd birthday Bekah had her first haircut. We went to a place specifically for kids and the woman who runs the place is a sweetheart and very talented. Even so Bekah tried to scratch her and was just plain awful. This wonderful woman managed to get it done cheerfully. She did an excellent job!
So Wednesday was Bekah's 3rd birthday and I went to bring the obligatory cupcakes to her classroom and I was there less than 5 minutes and another student fell down and started to seize and vomit. One teacher skillfully turned him on his side but everyone else seemed to freeze. So I calmly volunteered to call 9-1-1 on my cell phone. When you call 9-1-1 on your cell it goes to the CHP and that coupled with the fact that another staff gave me the wrong address may have caused a 10 minute delay in paramedics getting there.
So back in the day I used to manage a group home for severely emotionally disturbed teens, which included carrying an emergency pager, I worked in specialized foster care where I had 2 clients with a seizure disorder, and I also worked in an emergency psychiatric hospital. So I have had experience dealing with these situations. On Wednesday I just couldn't help wanting to take over and I tried really hard not to. I did end up waiting for the paramedics and going outside to help a teacher who took the initiative to take 10 kids and the cupcakes outside by herself.
I love this preschool and I admire the owners but I was concerned about the lack of protocol so being the busybody that I am I wrote them an email suggesting they review an emergency plan with their staff. It's better to be safe than sorry. Thankfully they were not offended and took my ideas plus more and the next day had a meeting with all their staff and had everyone sign off too. I am relieved. 10 minutes is a long time and this little boy turned out to be fine but what if he had aspirated some vomit and stopped breathing? Too scary to even think about.
So Erik is at the gym right now with all 3 of our savages and I am at home so I can prep for Bekah's big birthday bash. Being the big fat loser that I am, I immediately sit down and start writing on my blog. It's been awhile though and I needed to update.
Bekah's theme is butterflies and everything is pink, green, purple and orange. Very cute! All of my buddies will be here so there will be an after party for sure, woo hoo! I will post pictures later, like tommorrow later.
So I am off to clean, stuff gift bags, make appetizers and I guess I should shower and brush my teeth too.

No comments: