Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Recession Proof Jobs

Being a doctor is not a recession proof job. That's what my husband does for a living and people always get sick right? True, but when they lose their jobs they lose their health insurance. And if people don't have health insurance they don't go see their family practice physician. They wait until they are really, really sick and then they go to the emergency room.

Usually at this time of year people are starting to suffer from seasonal allergies and our business is booming. Not this year. I took the boys to see daddy at his office this morning and it was empty. Just my husband and his 2 staff and the overhead meter is ticking away. This was 10:30 in the morning. Have you ever seen a doctor's office that was empty at 10:30 in the morning? There was a fucking tumbleweed blowing down the hallway.

Now when I use my credit card I get a hot, prickly feeling in my armpits. You know that feeling? It's the one you get right before you break into a cold sweat.

We are now upside down with our mortgage. A few months ago I would have been ashamed to admit that, but now it's downright trendy.

And today I heard of another friend losing a job! Dude! This isn't good.

Yesterday I was watching MSNBC while folding the never ending pile of laundry and the anchorwoman was interviewing a man from the Sacramento Tent City. I am sure you have heard of this, either from Oprah or some other news source. So they trotted this guy out for an interview, and he wasn't your random drug addicted homeless guy. This was a man laid-off from a construction job who is now living in a tent and using public transportation to look for work. A decent respectable guy who looks like one of my Uncles. And this is the part that killed me, the anchorwoman, after cutting him off in mid-sentence said, "Well the stock market is up today.". WTF?! This poor guy is living in a tent by the river and probably shitting in a bucket and you tell him about the stock market?! Un-fucking-believable. This gentleman just politely chuckled.

Ok here is the cherry on top..........my husband just got home from work at 3:15 in the afternoon and said he saw, drumroll please,....... 3 patients today. One patient in the office and 2 of his elderly patients in their nursing home. Last year he was seeing 25 or more patients a day.

My poor husband slumped in here and asked if he could go upstairs lay down. Of course!! If my kids weren't awake right now I would go up there and give him a beer and a blowjob.


Hmmmm blowjobs............sounds like a new career for me.

11 comments:

Clare said...

That just sucks Charlotte, excuse the pun!

No, I mean that. We are struggling at work and I just read 5 mins ago that SESAME STREET laid off 1/5th of its workforce due to the economy! I dont need my daughter asking where Elmo went to??

sexypoet said...

you should tell your hubby to relocate his practice to NC.. i live very close to the army base and i can tell ya this, every darn doctor is like triple booked. medical anything seems to be a thriving business here. if you live near a military base, tell him that the pay is really good and benifits are even better.. (maybe he can moonlight from his practice until things get better)

drollgirl said...

it is brutal out there and it seems like we are all feeling the effects. i hope it ends soon.

Charlotte said...

Oh no, Sesame Street that is horrible!

Charlotte said...

Sexy Poet,
I have heard N.C. is nice but I am a 6th generation Native Californian so it would be really hard to leave my family and friends. Now if more of my family and friends lose their jobs and start moving in with me........I may move out of state.

Charlotte said...

Drollgirl,
2 of my friends lost jobs today. That is brutal.

Kelly said...

I am so sorry! You are hilarious with the BJ though!

I'm loosing my job in May. Hoping that my husband's company doesn't go belly up. I feel your pain.

I now need to sell my car and I'm sure there's nobody who has the money to buy it (it's only a fricken Saturn, that made it sound like I have a Caddy or something.)

Charlotte said...

Punkybean,
I used to have a Saturn, loved that car. They have good resale value, you should be able to unload it.

Sorry about you losing your job too! By the end of the day yesterday I had 2 friends lose their jobs and one considering not paying the mortgage anymore. Hey when it comes to my kid's well being I don't mind strapping a mattress to my back and getting to work. No job is shameful if it puts food on the table. : )

Kellie said...

Dang it, my comment just got erased and I got an error message. Well, anyway the jist of what I said, I'm thankful my hubs and I still have a job and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that we won't lose them. We are upside down on our mortgage too but luckily we can still pay it and our bills so I consider us fortunate!

Anonymous said...

I always though the same thing about teaching, but now there are massive lay-offs in the teaching profession throughout the country.

Charlotte said...

Kellie we are still way more fortunate than others and I am grateful for that too.

Tasha I hear ya. A buddy just got a pink slip from his teaching job yesterday and he has a pregnant wife. Ouch.