Saturday, April 25, 2009

Swine Flu

Have you read/heard about this Swine Flu? Click on Swine Flu to go to the most recent info I have found about it, at 9:40a Saturday April 25th. Just gotta love that word pandemic.

I am not a germ phobic person but........when you have 3 toddlers living in your home......... Well we all know that preschoolers get sick often because of their notoriously poor hygiene and mouthing everything (both my sons still stick everything in their mouths). And to top it off my oldest, Michael, woke up with a 102 degree fever this morning.

Also my dear husband is on-call for the hospital this weekend, so he is just waiting for the phone calls from the citizens of San Ramon wondering if they have Swine Flu. When the Anthrax incidents were happening after 9/11 he got a ridiculous amount of phone calls from people thinking they had been exposed to Anthrax. Even though none of them had been exposed to any white powders and had no symptoms at all. The difference with this Swine Flu is that the symptoms are exactly like the seasonal flu. Below is from the CDC (Center for Disease Control) website:

What are the symptoms of swine flu in humans?The symptoms of swine flu in people are expected to be similar to the symptoms of regular human seasonal influenza and include fever, lethargy, lack of appetite and coughing. Some people with swine flu also have reported runny nose, sore throat, nausea, vomiting and diarrhea.

Have a nice weekend.

6 comments:

drollgirl said...

oh great! another fun thing to worry about. i take it if you don't eat pork you don't have to worry? but maybe not. i am going to have to do some reading on this. and of course now i am thinking CARNITAS. yum.

Charlotte said...

Go for the Carnitas, you can't get it from eating pork. At least there is that.

GotchaLookin said...

Whatever you do, never ask for the anthrax vaccine for women of child-bearing age, children, or the elderly. The human immune response to BioThrax, rPA, and ABThrax vaccines can create Immunoglobulin Gamma that is formed to sequester the furin activation protein. Without furin, five growth factors will not activate: para-thyroid hormone, beta-secretase, nerve growth factor, transforming growth factor beta-1, and von Willebrand's factor. Without furin, memory T-cell, memory B-cell, and regulator T-cell levels will not be maintained. Furin-sequestering IgG will cross the feto-placental barrier and will harm unborn children - with both physical and mental birth defects. For more information, see Scott W. Miller's documentary film "A CALL TO ARMS 2009 EDITION". Ask your theater manager to arrange a special screening of this important film about your public health policy gone very wrong.

Charlotte said...

Thanks for the info. But no offense please don't visit my blog again. You are freaking me out.

Kelly said...

So I have to admit I'm a complete freak. I heard about this and immediately started trying to plan how to keep my pre-schooler and my infant from catching swine flu.

I have five weeks left of work and I was seriously contemplating pulling them out of daycare early. That place is the source of illness! That and the shopping carts at Target. I think for sure I'm not bringing them to the stores until the pandemic talk dies down.

See, I'm a freak.

We'll see if I can calm myself down...

Charlotte said...

Ok Kelly I think all of these things but I force myself to remain calm and not do anything drastic. Preschool and the daycare at our gym is a cesspool of germs. And I know at both places the adults use major sanitary precautions. I know this because at both places the adults have their children attending there as well so that makes them especially careful. Even so kids just love to wipe their faces and smear their friends, ugh.

What really freaks me out is that my brother just came to visit here from SAN DIEGO, that's right next to Mexico and Aunt Ari was sick.....breathing deeply. Also my husband is a Dr. but he rarely gets sick he just brings it home to us! I am going to make him strip in the garage and spray him with Lysol.